MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Install & Repo

Re: MySQL Server Error
Posted by: Kerim Morris
Date: July 14, 2013 10:41AM

Hi All,

I wanted to post this reply to my own post as I have managed to get my problem solved and judging by the number of similar problems I have found on various forums I guess one more option to solve it might prove useful to someone.

There seem to be many ways that people have used to re-configure MySQL and get it working again but I hadn't come across this method before - I basically went right back to basics and worked it out from there (by the way it is very basic ---- I'm no hardcore hacker).

I had originally installed the LAMP stack as described in the 'Raspberry Pi User Guide' - Apache 2, PHP5 and our good old friend MySQL. So the first thing I did was rip them out one by one with:

sudo apt-get purge xxxxxx

When purgeing MySQL (the last package I went for) I noticed in the terminal log that various files were recommended to be 'autoremoved' - i.e they had been left behind hanging in the wind and obviously causing the problems I had been having. I noticed the one file related mysql.core so I went for this first as it sounded as though it was trying to cause trouble and get all the other files in on the act. (I had no thoughts of consequences at this stage having spent 48hrs trying to get this thing to work).

sudo apt-get autoremove xxxxxxmysql.core

The xxxx's relate to the file path but I can't remember it I'm afraid. Interestingly the 'autoremove' for this also removed the other offending files so I thought it time to reverse the process and get it all installed again.

As before I installed the LAMP stack package by package so I could keep an eye on what response I was getting. Finally getting around to MySQL I held my breath and 'sudo apt-get install php5-mysql mysql-server'd it.

Fortunately this worked and MySQL is now running sweetly - and surprising all of my MySQL user accounts have been retained together with their passwords.
Don't ask me what was wrong or what correction was made but I can only think that a conflict was occurring with these errant files.

Anyway I hope that this helps someone out at sometime in the future and saves them from as much frustration as me :D

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Written By
Posted
July 13, 2013 10:19AM
July 13, 2013 12:39PM
July 13, 2013 01:19PM
Re: MySQL Server Error
July 14, 2013 10:41AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.