MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Install & Repo

Hostname problem configuring MySQL on Mac
Posted by: Bruce Easton
Date: August 30, 2013 06:13PM

I have installed MySQL on my iMac in preparation for use with MythTV. I followed the Myth Wiki page called "MythTV on Mac OS X", I ran into an issue regarding setting up the MySQL accounts. I believe I was able to set up the root pw for localhost and 127.0.0.1 OK, but setting the MySQL root user pw for the host name gave an error that said the name was too long (I believe mine is 17 chars). I proceeded a bit and did not get errors with the other MSQL config commands on that page that included creating other MySQL users and a new database. I was also able to start the MySQL server on the mac via the Sys Pref Pane that I installed along with the other parts of the 64-bit version of MySQL Community Server for Mac (latest production version I believe).

Since I'm new to MySQL, I am therefore wondering if there is likely to be a functional or security issue between MySQL, the mac, MythTV (and the device I plan to use with MythTV - the HDHomerun Dual OTA HD streaming capture device that will go into my router), being that I am not able to successfully issue the command:

SET PASSWORD FOR 'root'@'host_name.local' = PASSWORD('newpwd');

since it returns the error that the host name is too long (even though "SELECT Host, User FROM mysql.user;" does return the full hostname)

I am still awaiting the HDHR device, but am concerned that I have created some security issue whereby something can clobber my system via mySQL somehow. I did look at this page: http://macs.about.com/od/OSXLion107/ss/Changing-Your-Lion-Servers-Hostname.htm, but am hesitant to shorten the name for fear of confusing something else on my system that is using it like VMWare, Bootcamp, etc.

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Written By
Posted
Hostname problem configuring MySQL on Mac
August 30, 2013 06:13PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.