MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Install & Repo

Best place to store datafiles?
Posted by: Graham Kendall
Date: April 13, 2014 06:38PM

Hi

I have just installed MySQL and want to use it for (research) software development. I have a few computers where I do software development and I wannt all those machines to be able to access the database(s).

If I just had one machine, it would be a no brainer and I would just use localhost, as nobody else needs to access the data.

I just can't decide where best place to locate the data files. The options I am considering (but happy to hear other views) are:

1) Just store on the local machine and let Dropbox take care of syncing the data.
Downsides: The data might get quite large and blow my storage capacity
It could take a long time to sync.
Upsides: Access should be quick as I am just using localhost

2) Use a Network Storage device (I have a Synology untit)
Downsides: Access might be slow as I have to go "over the internet"
I'd still like to sync with Dropbox just"to be sure"
Upsides: Sapce shoud not be an issue

3) I have my own domain registered so I could use that
Downsides: Not sure how I could connect, and not sure of the secuity implications.
Backing up is an issue?
Access times might be significant, when compared to localhost?
Upsides: The availability of the "data storage" is being managed by a professional company

4) Use a cloud based service.
Downsides: Note sure how these work, the costs and the backup options.
Are access times a factor when compared to localhost?

You might ask why I want to use mySQL. It's because in the future, I might want to do a PHP roll out and MySQL seems the way to go. Also, I want to "force" myself to think about the structure of my data.

Thx

G

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Written By
Posted
Best place to store datafiles?
April 13, 2014 06:38PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.