MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Install & Repo

Creating MySQL User Account
Posted by: London Tran
Date: August 05, 2014 03:51PM

Hello everyone,

I am new to MySQL and I am having trouble creating a user account. I am using a textbook called Internet & World Wide Web, 5e by Deitel. The book instructed me to download XAMPP and to create a MySQL user account.

It says that to create a user account, I must enter "mysql -h localhost -u root" in a command prompt but when I do, the command prompt says,
" 'mysql' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file". How would I go about fixing this problem?

Also, I was able to gain access to PHP My Admin and create a user account there. Is the account I created in PHP My Admin a PHP user account or a MySQL user account? If it's a MySQL account, then I believe I wouldn't need to go the command prompt route since I have already created a user account.

And lastly (sorry this post is soo long), I also changed the Path in the Systems Variables Settings. I found the Path of the MySQL folder (from the inside of the XAMPP folder) and added it to the Path in the Environment Variables section and the command prompt still returns the same error.

Thank you for taking the time to read this, I've been stuck on this issue for more than a few hours.

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Written By
Posted
Creating MySQL User Account
August 05, 2014 03:51PM
September 03, 2014 06:04AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.