MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Install & Repo

Install - Samples and Examples, no server found
Posted by: Bob Novell
Date: October 10, 2015 07:01PM

I am installing mysql56 on Windows Visa 64bit for use with the Abyss server.

I am going through the install (windows installer used) and I have gotten to the "Samples and Examples" step. I have been told there is no server and I need to select one from the list on the Contact Server page.

The server list is empty.

I did a custom install to skip the installation of such things as Workbench, MySQL Notifier, and MySQL for Excel, etc. I just want a simple server to use with web php server site applications (everyone calls them scripts but I think of them as what they really are – applications)

The only default option I changed was to not start the mysql windows server at startup.

I won't be using it all the time (I'd guess I'll use it perhaps 10% of all of the use on this particular computer) and I don't want it up and using resources when I don't need it. I will, for now, only be using it to support wordpress so that I can work on a blog locally. WP is a very bloated attempt to be everything for everyone and I want to see about speeding it up and will be creating custom themes for speed and simplicity.

*** Side issue - does anyone know of another blog package which simply provides blog functions with good anti-spam features or plug-ins that can fight spam? If so, please point me at it. Thanks!

When I encountered this situation about selecting a server, I checked, through, Task Manager and found a service named MYSQL56 is running.

What do I do to get past this issue of selecting a server when there are no servers shown in the server list on the Connect to Server step?

Bob

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Written By
Posted
Install - Samples and Examples, no server found
October 10, 2015 07:01PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.