MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Optimizer & Parser

Optimizing (a=b and c=d) OR (e=f and g=h)
Posted by: a.h.s. boy
Date: July 20, 2006 12:07PM

I have a table that holds information about bi-directional references between ID numbers for information I'm displaying on a web site. The relevant fields:

`class1` varchar(32) NOT NULL default '',
`id1` mediumint(9) NOT NULL default '0',
`class2` varchar(32) NOT NULL default '',
`id2` mediumint(9) NOT NULL default '0',
`text2` varchar(255) NOT NULL default '',
KEY `class1` (`class1`,`id1`),
KEY `class2` (`class2`,`id2`)

So when someone creates a "relationship" between Article ID 13 and News ID 52, you have

class1='Article', id1=13, class2='News', id2=52

And I want to have a query so that this relationship can be found starting from either class/ID pair. The obvious query (from News ID 52, for example) is

SELECT * FROM relationships WHERE (class1='News' AND id1=52) OR (class2='News' AND id2=52);

but this isn't optimized at all (it would have to use both indexes, one for each bracketed query). So I thought I could be clever and use a self-join of some sort, like

SELECT r1.* FROM relationships as r1,relationships as r2 WHERE (r1.class1='News' AND r1.id1=52) OR (r2.class2='News' AND r2.id2=52);

thinking that each part of the join would use an optimized index on its respective query. But it still ends up scanning the whole table.

Have I not been clever enough? Is there a way to optimize such a query, or does it actually make more sense to add 2 rows of data for every relationship (one with each class/id pair in class1/id1 position?)

Or is there some more obscure way of storing/querying/indexing the information to provide a more efficient process?

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Views
Written By
Posted
Optimizing (a=b and c=d) OR (e=f and g=h)
July 20, 2006 12:07PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.