MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Source, Builds, Binaries

Building MySQL under low-memory (VPS) conditions?
Posted by: Weston C
Date: April 28, 2007 10:34PM

I'm trying to build MySQL 4.1.22 on a VPS where it looks like our available memory seems to be painfully low, so compilation errors out partway through with the message "virtual memory exhausted: cannot allocate memory."

I tried invoking configure with the "--with-low-memory" flag, and then recompiling, but still bumped up against the same issue.

After looking around for flags to feed to gcc in order to keep memory usage low, I found this:

http://hostingfu.com/article/compiling-with-gcc-on-low-memory-vps

However, near as I can tell, when I add the flags --param ggc-min-expand=0 and --param ggc-min-heapsize=8192 to CFLAGS in the Makefile in the top-level source directory, nothing changes. The output of make seems to indicate it's using the same flags as before I changed the makefile.

In fact, it looks like I can remove CFLAGS entirely. Or change it to something arbitrary like CFLAGS = --hovercraft-full-of-eels that should, theoretically, stop compilation with an uknown flag error, and nothing changes.

Any obvious things I'm missing? Ideas for other things I could try?

If it helps, the VPS is running Fedora Core 2.

Thanks!

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Views
Written By
Posted
Building MySQL under low-memory (VPS) conditions?
April 28, 2007 10:34PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.