Hierarchy of tables - Design problem
Posted by: Martin Moreno
Date: July 05, 2006 03:05AM

Hi all experts,

I've been fighting against this problem for a while but somehow I can't find a solution.

I have three tables:

ENGINE
GENSET
GENSET_UNIT

An ENGINE can be used in one or many GENSET, but a GENSET has always an ENGINE.
Similarly, a GENSET can be used in one or many GENSET_UNIT, but a GENSET_UNIT has always one GENSET. This structure is very stable (that's why I decided to use a hierarchy of tables).

So far so good. Now I have to model the parts explosion for GENSET_UNIT (since that is the product my company sells). There are parts which are used to build an ENGINE, other to build a GENSET and other to build the GENSET_UNIT-
Since I don't want to repeat the linking of parts that are needed to build an ENGINE for all GENSET_UNIT, I was expecting to be able to define for each table (ENGINE, GENSET, GENSET_UNIT) which parts are needed.
I'd have then 3 tables linked somehow to the table PART.

This doen't look that good, I reckon.

Could possibly someone tell me wheter I am doing wrong and what would be the best approach for my problem?

Thank you very much!!

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Written By
Posted
Hierarchy of tables - Design problem
July 05, 2006 03:05AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.