mapping ER
Posted by: mayada rida
Date: August 11, 2006 06:01PM

Dear All,

I am trying to map my logical data model into physical tables implementation. The problem i have is that i have supertype/subtype entities and not sure how to deal with them.

Basically i am developing a booking system for conference rooms at a university. if a lecturer books a room, they don't have to pay anything, whilst students have to pay for booking.

My LDM, has the following entities: USER (Supertype), student and lecturer subtypes. The student entity has 1:m relationship to a student_course entity which in turn has a 1:m relationship with conf_room_booking entity. the student course decides how much the student pays for the booking.

the lecturer entity is linked directly to conf_room_booking with 1:m relationship.

I am not sure how to phyisically implement this. I could divide the conf_room_booking entity into sub entities (one for student and one for lecturer) but this will make application development complex, since bookings will be in 2 seperate tables, also duplicate bookings may happen which i do not want. at the same time, booking for student should have a cost but the lecturer can book free of charge.

I hope someone can help.

Regards

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Written By
Posted
mapping ER
August 11, 2006 06:01PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.