Re: Showing Mixed Results From Two Tables w/ Diff Num of Cols
Posted by: mike ix
Date: September 05, 2006 11:48AM

Yes, I've looked very carefully at JOINS, and I understand enough to know that there are MANY methods of using a JOIN to do the aforementioned task. I'm looking for the best way. Currently, using my previous example, my tables might look something like this:

[ oranges ]
# ID # Size # Weight # Orchard Location

[ cars ]
# ID # Make # Model # Size # Color # Year # VIN # License

[ puppies ]
# ID # Gender # Age # Breed

[ ratings ]
# ID # Total Rating # Base Rating # Day 1 # Day 2 # Day 3

Every orange, car and puppy's ID is listed in the rating table with their ratings. I want to display the results of all the highest rated items, but I don't necessarily want the results joined together. In other words the results should look like this:

1. Rating: 1500, ID: 307, Size: medium, Weight: 5.8 oz. etc...
2. Rating: 1200, ID: 854, Gender: boy, Age: 0.5 years, Breed: bloodhound
3. Rating: 1100, ID: 114, Gender: girl, Age: 1.0 years, Breed: german shepard
4. Rating: 1000, ID: 233, Make: Toyota, Model: Tercel, etc...
5. Rating: 900, ID: 35, Size: large, etc...

If I were to join these results then all the properties of each item would be listed together on the same line. I hope this helps explain my situation a little better.

So far, the only method I can think or know to do is to make one querry to the rating table and load an array with the IDs (sorted of course), then make a seperate call for each ID to it's appropriate table. This seems quite cumbersome though, to make so many calls. Is there a way to do what I'm asking in one call?

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Written By
Posted
Re: Showing Mixed Results From Two Tables w/ Diff Num of Cols
September 05, 2006 11:48AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.