Re: one table with self joins VS. several tables
Posted by: Joe Celko
Date: January 03, 2007 12:33PM

>> I am designing a database to store biological names which are arranged hierarchically (family >genus>species etc). <<

Do you have a copy of TREES & HIERARCHIES IN SQL yet?

>> My question: Will I see a performance improvement if I switch to using a single table for all the levels of the hierarchy with self-joins? <<

No. What ou want is one table for the hierarchy, one for the proper names and one for aliases

>> i.e. Should I use a single table with the following fields: NameID(primary), Name, ParentID, ValidID with the ParentId and ValidID self-joined to the correct NameID <<

Ther is no such thing as a "name_id" in a correct data model; an attribute is a name or an identifier and NEVER both by definition. You are attempting an adjacency list model; go with a nested sets model instead. Google Nested sets to find out how (lft, rgt) pairs work -- or buy my book :)

CREATE TABLE Taxonomy
(animal_name VARCHAR(25) NOT NULL
REFERENCES Animals(animal_name),
lft INTEGER NOT NULL,
rgt INTEGER NOT NULL,
bio_category CHAR(10) NOT NULL
CHECK (bio_category IN ('family', 'genus', 'species', etc)),
etc.);

CREATE TABLE Animals
(animal_name VARCHAR(25) NOT NULL PRIMARY KEY,
etc.);

CREATE TABLE JuniorNames
(animal_name VARCHAR(25) NOT NULL
REFERENCES Animals (animal_name),
junior_name VARCHAR(25) NOT NULL,
PRIMARY KEY (animal_name, junior_name),
etc.);

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Written By
Posted
Re: one table with self joins VS. several tables
January 03, 2007 12:33PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.