Primary Keys: Single vs Composite
Posted by: Alex Aspiotis
Date: April 25, 2007 03:04PM

Objective:
I need help on deciding between using "Composite Primary Keys" (PK with multiple fields) versus a "Single Field Primary Key".

(I am not looking for advice on deciding between surrogate versus natural - I am going with surrogate, period.)

Assumptions:
1) I have attached table statements below - in summary the scenario deals with parent / child tables with multiple generations - assume 3 levels deep (e.g. child, parent, grandparent)

2) the database supports end users that deal with only "their own" records via a web application - this needs to scale to say 10K users simultaneously inserting / updating one record at a time

3) there are never batch feeds and rarely batch processing of records

The Alternatives:
Option 0) See table scripts below for account, order, order_detail and order_sub_detail. Every table has a single field primary key (foreign key field to its parent)

Option 1) See table scripts below for account, order_1, order_detail_1 and order_sub_detail_1. Primary key fields of parent table are inherited by the children with one extra ID field added to the end.

Option 0 Pros (Option 1 Cons):
1) Easy programming of joins - one field
2) ability to use auto_increment and InnoDB and no need to programmatically determine the next key
3) Easy to return last key inserted using Last_Insert_ID()

Option 1 Pros (Option 0 Cons):
1) Joins can skip tables if necessary - e.g. you can join a child to its grandparent directly without joining the parent
2) Potential performance increase (not sure about this) - to get to a record would it be faster to traverse the key in steps (akin to trunk, branch, leaf) e.g. order_id, order_detail_id, order_sub_detail_id as opposed to traversing a single ID field?

So my questions are:
1) Which method is faster - to pull the order_detail records for a given order_id, will it be faster to join the option 0 tables (order, order_detail) or the option 1 tables (order_1, order_detail_1)?
2) Can I get the best of both worlds by using MyISAM and its feature of allowing a composite key using auto_increment?
3) Are the pros / cons I listed valid? Are there more?
4) Can you recommend any books / web sites on this issue?

Thanks in advance!

Tables:
DROP TABLE IF EXISTS `sakila`.`tbl_account`;
CREATE TABLE `sakila`.`tbl_account` (
`Account_ID` int(10) unsigned NOT NULL auto_increment,
`First_Name` varchar(50) NOT NULL,
PRIMARY KEY (`Account_ID`)
) ENGINE=InnoDB DEFAULT CHARSET=utf8;

DROP TABLE IF EXISTS `sakila`.`tbl_order`;
CREATE TABLE `sakila`.`tbl_order` (
`Order_ID` int(10) unsigned NOT NULL auto_increment,
`Account_ID` int(10) unsigned NOT NULL,
PRIMARY KEY (`Order_ID`),
KEY `FK_tbl_Order_tbl_Account` (`Account_ID`),
CONSTRAINT `FK_tbl_Order_tbl_Account` FOREIGN KEY (`Account_ID`) REFERENCES `tbl_account` (`Account_ID`) ON UPDATE CASCADE

DROP TABLE IF EXISTS `sakila`.`tbl_order_detail`;
CREATE TABLE `sakila`.`tbl_order_detail` (
`Detail_ID` int(10) unsigned NOT NULL auto_increment,
`Order_ID` int(10) unsigned NOT NULL,
PRIMARY KEY (`Detail_ID`),
KEY `FK_tbl_Order_Detail_tbl_Order` (`Order_ID`),
CONSTRAINT `FK_tbl_Order_Detail_tbl_Order` FOREIGN KEY (`Order_ID`) REFERENCES `tbl_order` (`Order_ID`) ON UPDATE CASCADE

DROP TABLE IF EXISTS `sakila`.`tbl_order_sub_detail`;
CREATE TABLE `sakila`.`tbl_order_sub_detail` (
`Sub_Detail_ID` int(10) unsigned NOT NULL auto_increment,
`Detail_ID` int(10) unsigned NOT NULL,
PRIMARY KEY (`Sub_Detail_ID`),
KEY `FK_tbl_Order_Sub_Detail_tbl_Order_Detail` (`Detail_ID`),
CONSTRAINT `FK_tbl_Order_Sub_Detail_tbl_Order_Detail` FOREIGN KEY (`Detail_ID`) REFERENCES `tbl_order_detail` (`Detail_ID`) ON UPDATE CASCADE

DROP TABLE IF EXISTS `sakila`.`tbl_order_1`;
CREATE TABLE `sakila`.`tbl_order_1` (
`Account_ID` int(10) unsigned NOT NULL,
PRIMARY KEY (`Order_ID`),
KEY `FK_tbl_Order1_tbl_Account` (`Account_ID`),
CONSTRAINT `FK_tbl_Order1_tbl_Account` FOREIGN KEY (`Account_ID`) REFERENCES `tbl_account` (`Account_ID`) ON UPDATE CASCADE

DROP TABLE IF EXISTS `sakila`.`tbl_order_detail_1`;
CREATE TABLE `sakila`.`tbl_order_detail_1` (
PRIMARY KEY (`Order_ID`,`Detail_ID`),
CONSTRAINT `FK_tbl_Order1_Detail1_tbl_Order_1` FOREIGN KEY (`Order_ID`) REFERENCES `tbl_order_1` (`Order_ID`) ON UPDATE CASCADE

DROP TABLE IF EXISTS `sakila`.`tbl_order_sub_detail_1`;
CREATE TABLE `sakila`.`tbl_order_sub_detail_1` (
`Sub_Detail_ID` int(10) unsigned NOT NULL,
PRIMARY KEY (`Order_ID`,`Detail_ID`,`Sub_Detail_ID`),
CONSTRAINT `FK_tbl_Order_Sub_Detail1_tbl_Order_Detail_1` FOREIGN KEY (`Order_ID`, `Detail_ID`) REFERENCES `tbl_order_detail` (`Order_ID`, `Detail_ID`) ON UPDATE CASCADE

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Written By
Posted
Primary Keys: Single vs Composite
April 25, 2007 03:04PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.