Table structure for product catalogs from many manufacturers
Posted by: Johnathan Skardon
Date: June 20, 2007 09:26AM

I am building an online store using OS Commerce, and I am looking to import a number of different manufacturers products into MySql. In total, there could be 1,000-3,000 products from approximately 25 manufacturers catalogs, and the characteristics for every manafacturer are different.

While the characteristics are different, there are some similarities; however, OS Commerce's database structure does not include most of the fields I would need, so I'll need to set-up new product tables to accommodate this information.

I want to allow purchasers to customize the items they are purchasing by selecting certain fields (quantity, price, color, style, etc.) from drop down menus. Additionally, a key factor is that they would also need to complete free-form fields to type text. Ideally, I'd like the free-form fields to dynamically appear based on the characteristics each manufacturer allows. For instance, one manufacturer may allow 3 lines of copy with 8 typefaces and another may allow 8 lines of copy with 26 typefaces. I need to be able to display these variables based on the manufacturer's specifications.

My questions follow:

Since every manufacturer has different field characteristics, should I create separate product tables that are specific to each manufacturer, should I combine them into a single product table, or does it matter?

How will the performance of the database be affected, if at all, by your response above?

Once the database structure has been set-up appropirately to accept this information, what tools are available to import the manufacturers' catalogs and photos into MySql from Excel?

Is there a tool that would allow me to easily and selectively update, modify, and delete discontinued product from the database?

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Written By
Posted
Table structure for product catalogs from many manufacturers
June 20, 2007 09:26AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.