ERD Database Modelling Help
Posted by: Zeb Rawnsley
Date: March 26, 2011 08:36PM

Hi all, this is actually an assignment I was given for my database paper. I would really appreciate some advice from someone on this forum.

Here is the ERD I created for my assignment: http://i53.tinypic.com/m9vg38.jpg

The problem I have is the relationship between EMPLOYEE and ASSIGNMENT

What I have understood from the problem description is:

Employees may not be double booked (in relation to assignment)
Many employees can work on the same assignment

In the assignment entity, EMP_ID must be included (straight from the problem description)

So my problem is:

In order for EMP_ID FK value to be displayed in the ASSIGNMENT entity (at least in Visio) I have to have the relationship like this - EMP (1:M) ASSIGN

When I change the relationship to ASSIGN (1:M) EMP
The ASSIGN_ID appears as an FK value in the EMPLOYEE entity and nothing from EMPLOYEE appears in ASSIGNMENT.

The only thing that I can think of (as novice as I am) is to make the relationship (what it is supposed to be) ASSIGN (1:M) EMP
and just add an attribute in the ASSIGNMENT entity for EMP_ID (but wouldn't this mean that referential integrity wont be in action and the value is open to mistakes by the end user?)

Do I have any other options? Am I even looking at this relationship correctly, I don't know!

Thank you for taking the time to read my problem and once again, *any* advice is greatly appreciated.

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Written By
Posted
ERD Database Modelling Help
March 26, 2011 08:36PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.