Please help, table design!
Posted by: Mark Putnam
Date: March 26, 2014 02:43PM

Hi all,

Please help it's driving me insane, I'm really hoping someone can help me with this. I have a MySQL database which shows companies that cover certain postcodes (zip codes) within the uk.

My first table "members" contains member_id, company_name, contact_number and email address.

I need to design a second table to contain the post codes they cover (there are nearly 3000 in the uk). I am really struggling on knowing how to lay this table out and need your advice please! Eg should I have a column for each postcode and write the member_id in that column in a new row if they cover that postcode?

Basically i am clear on the first table but I don't know how to lay out the second table for postcodes and how I would link the member_id to the postcodes they cover (some companies will cover 20 post code areas and I understand I can't just have multiple postcode areas in the same column/row.?

I just need a clear advice on how that postcode table should be laid out and linked to the first members table so that when a user types a postcode in to the search page e.g SW1 the companies covering that postcode appear.

Many thanks in advance! Any advice would be very much appreciated!

Mark

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Written By
Posted
Please help, table design!
March 26, 2014 02:43PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.