Confused during the initial design.
Posted by: Aaron Jackson
Date: March 14, 2006 09:28AM

I have a task at hand, and basically it's more or less putting a database together similar to that of www.fitday.com

For those unfamiliar to the site it's used for food logging, planning, calorie counting, activity monitoring and so on. The only aspect I am looking at is the food side of things.

I can category the food/drink exactly the same, like this:
Beverages -> Soft Drinks, Alcohol, _Milk_, Tea and Coffee etc.
Dairy and Eggs ->_Milk_, Cheese, Yogurt, and Cream etc.

This type of duplication will occur all over, so I gathered I will have let's say something like this:

ID Food Member Of
1 Milk 1,2

I will end up having a web of information, a lot of which will be relating to each other, sometimes it won't be, and I just don't know how to nail it down.

Sorry about the poor diagram, though you should get what I mean. Now this may seem fine, however there is another problem, all products will have nutritional information (protein, carbohydrates, fat) and so on, but along side:

type(beverage) -> manufacture(tesco/asda) -> label(healthy living/for kids) -> foodname(Sugar Free Cola / Mineral Loaded Fruit Juice) -> Nutritional Information Here

Type will always exist, but will sometimes have multiple categories and should have for ease of use/flexibility, manufacture will nearly always exist unless it's something like 'Fresh Meat', the label is a subcategory, IE a brand has a range of foods like 'Tesco -> healthy living series -> Fat Free Salad Dressing' yet a lot of the time it won't exist and it will just be "Tesco -> Whole Milk", and then of course the food name which again will always exist.

I just don't know where to start and it's driving me mad. I am not asking anyone to do this for me, just a little advice and a knock in the right direction to help me work out what's the best way to sort the information out. I do understand Normalisation and so on, but I think that's where I am hitting the wall.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/14/2006 09:29AM by Aaron Jackson.

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Written By
Posted
Confused during the initial design.
March 14, 2006 09:28AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.