MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Quality Assurance

how to convert SELECT result to be an UPDATE
Posted by: romina drees
Date: October 15, 2007 07:03AM

Hi @all,

have a very specific problem with an update of a foreign key. It has been set wrong during input and I want to correct it. Finding the right foreign key is easy, but the update itself not.

problem:
table a contains key, number as fields
table b contains a.key as foreign key, but some entries need an update

SELECT a.key, b.key FROM b JOIN a ON number = (SELECT a.number FROM a WHERE a.key=b.key) AND a.key > 65 WHERE b.key = ... ;

the subquery has 2 rows in the result and the entry with value > 65 is retrieved. So altogether this query works well and gives me the right result, but now I want to update b.key with the right key and tried:

UPDATE b JOIN a ON number = (SELECT a.number FROM a WHERE a.key=b.key) AND a.key > 65 SET b.key = a.key WHERE b.key = ...;

After one hour running I stoped it because maybe there is an mistake, any ideas?

Thanks a lot!

P.S.:
Original examples:
select spectrum.peak_id, spectrum.spectrum_id, spectra.spectrum_id from spectrum join spectra on spec_no = (select spectra.spec_no from spectra where spectra.spectrum_id = spectrum.spectrum_id) and spectra.spectrum_id > 65 WHERE spectrum.peak_id > 9882600 and spectrum.spectrum_id = 1;

-> Query took about a minute, because of testing spectrum_id was set to 1 but it can be up to 65.

update spectrum join spectra on spec_no = (select spectra.spec_no from spectra where spectra.spectrum_id = spectrum.spectrum_id) and spectra.spectrum_id > 65 set spectrum.spectrum_id = spectra.spectrum_id WHERE spectrum.peak_id > 9882600 and spectrum.spectrum_id = 1;

--> took an hour, before I quit it

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Views
Written By
Posted
how to convert SELECT result to be an UPDATE
October 15, 2007 07:03AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.