MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Quality Assurance

Unexpected temporary table behavior
Posted by: Luke Bredeson
Date: October 18, 2007 12:18PM

Before filing a bug report, I was hoping someone could point out if I am misunderstanding something here or if this is a legitimate problem. The following is documentation on MySQL's implicit-commit (I am running 5.0.45-community on RHEL 5).

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/implicit-commit.html

I was originally under the impression that with InnoDB, any number of queries which changed data and were included in a single transaction would all be rolled back properly, but as it turns out, this is not the case, as discussed in this bug:

http://bugs.mysql.com/bug.php?id=28727
I would tend to agree with Laas that this is a pretty big issue ACID-wise, but my issue is with temporary tables.

According to this documentation, "CREATE TABLE and DROP TABLE do not commit a transaction if the TEMPORARY keyword is used." I don't believe this is the case, and here is the test that confuses me:

mysql> begin;
Query OK, 0 rows affected (0.00 sec)

mysql> create temporary table t1(test varchar(2));
Query OK, 0 rows affected (0.01 sec)

mysql> insert into t1(test) values('te');
Query OK, 1 row affected (0.00 sec)

mysql> rollback;
Query OK, 0 rows affected, 1 warning (0.01 sec)

mysql> select * from t1;
Empty set (0.00 sec)

mysql> show create table t1;
+-------+-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
| Table | Create Table |
+-------+-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
| t1 | CREATE TEMPORARY TABLE `t1` (
`test` varchar(2) default NULL
) ENGINE=InnoDB DEFAULT CHARSET=latin1 |
1 row in set (0.00 sec)

The insert is rolled back, but the table creation is not. If this were a normal table, I would understand (though be annoyed), but MySQL's documentation seems to indicate that this should not occur with temporary tables. So right now I am thinking that this is either a bug or a mistake in the documentation.

Please let me know if any of you have any ideas. Thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Views
Written By
Posted
Unexpected temporary table behavior
October 18, 2007 12:18PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.