MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Quality Assurance

Retrieve a random row, but fast.
Posted by: Nils A.
Date: November 28, 2007 07:21AM

Hi Folks, I am a newbie to this forum, so please apologize for any inconveniance first.

I was trying to retrieve random rows from a table which is quite loaded (> 50000 rows). Suppose this table to be a "user" table, with a primary key id and a varchar(300). I want to pick a random user.

The construct

SELECT * FROM user ORDER BY rand() LIMIT 1

is not satisfying, since the whole table has to be read and sorted (to my opinion).

So I found out the following:

1. Getting a random "rownum" or sortof that works, by:

SELECT (CEIL(RAND() * COUNT(*))) from user

COUNT(*) is a constant and to be fetched in O(1), since I use MyISAM tables.

2. Putting that in a subquery like

SELECT * FROM user WHERE id > (
SELECT (CEIL(RAND() * COUNT(*))) from user
) LIMIT 1;

is not working, but it should, shouldn't it?

I get a constant row, which is always the same??
EXPLAIN ... delivers:

+----+----------------------+---------------+-------+---------------+---------+---------+------+------+--------------------------+
| id | select_type | table | type | possible_keys | key | key_len | ref | rows | Extra |
+----+----------------------+---------------+-------+---------------+---------+---------+------+------+--------------------------+
| 1 | PRIMARY | user | index | NULL | PRIMARY | 4 | NULL | 3097 | Using where; Using index |
| 2 | UNCACHEABLE SUBQUERY | user | index | NULL | PRIMARY | 4 | NULL | 3097 | Using index |

And that's right. Its a subquery, and since it is computed with RAND(), one cannot cache it. But why do I get always the same row? A bug?

If I replace the star by the attribute I initially wanted to retrieve, id, the outcome is not always constant, but the variance of the values of id is much bigger than the variance of the results I get.

I can work with a temporary variable, which works perfectly.

SELECT @rand_no := (RAND() * COUNT(*)) from community_uni;
SELECT id FROM user WHERE id > @rand_no LIMIT 1;

But I don't understand why the above solution was not working.

Greets, Nils

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Views
Written By
Posted
Retrieve a random row, but fast.
November 28, 2007 07:21AM
November 28, 2007 07:24AM
December 06, 2007 09:02PM
December 11, 2007 12:42AM
February 04, 2008 02:52AM
July 22, 2008 07:20AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.