MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Router & Proxy

mysql-proxy with AWS ELB
Posted by: Ross Carver
Date: March 29, 2012 03:06PM

Good afternoon,

In looking for a solution to making the most cost effective highly available mysql implementation in AWS, I've begun testing the following setup:

They have a multi-az option for failover which is nice (well, easy) for the master, however it gets costly to maintain a large instance with a hot-standby of equal size that is essentially useless 99% of the time.

With that said, I've opted for a smaller master setup with the option to play with either their read-replicas or to home role my own slaves using a regular ec2 (and perhaps even spots!) and standard asynch replication off the master.

Where mysql proxy comes in is on the read / write query splitting which allows the applicaton to be unaware and the managing of these different types of read-slaves etc. Furthermore, because mysql-proxy is lightweight, it gets loaded on each webserver instance running, all of which are plugged into Amazon's load balancer.

With this setup, the load balancer checks a URL response on each webserver and If you make the url response database connect dependent, the host will drop out of the load balancing if mysql-proxy should croak, so the AWS load balancer in this way is coerced into making mysql-proxy HA, which is nice (kill two birds, one stone).

The feature I see that is most of want in this setup is the ability to add backend (read slaves) into the proxy pool without restarting mysql-proxy.

Thoughts on any of this? I haven't done any real hard testing of durability, but the goal is accomplished of having a given proxy instance become as expendable as the webserver instance and to keep the setup simple.

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Views
Written By
Posted
mysql-proxy with AWS ELB
March 29, 2012 03:06PM
April 08, 2012 05:47PM
May 11, 2012 04:23AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.