MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  MySQL Workbench

Can't create new server instance
Posted by: Kevin Pearson
Date: July 18, 2013 01:06PM

Let me start by stating that I'm a beginner to database admin, and installation, etc.. I have mysql & workbench installed. After I first installed mysql the first thing I thought I had to do was create a new server instance (from workbench) and I got to 'Testing the database connection' which was created successfully, but in the next step (Set Windows configuration parameters for this machine' I get 'Could not set up connection: COuld not connect to target machine.' The box for 'Select the service to manage from the list below' is blank, but I browsed to my configuration file and hit next anyway. I get 'Cannot Advance. Could not connect to target machine. No such interface supported.'.
After that I tried a new connection and I was able to create a connection to a database as well as added a existing database that I exported out of MS Access 2010. I've even set up a connection string in a C# project and tested the connection and read data from table.
So my question is why can't I create a new instance and do I even need one if I can create a connection to database??

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Views
Written By
Posted
Can't create new server instance
July 18, 2013 01:06PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.