MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  MySQL Workbench

Workbench Migration Wizard: Problems with SQL Server as Source
Posted by: Chris Smola
Date: January 20, 2014 10:39PM

My goal is to use Workbench 6.0.8.11354 build 833 to successfully migrate an SQL Server 2000 db (source) to a local MySQL 5.6.13 db (target) on OS X 10.8.2. I am using the FreeTDS driver (v0.91) to connect to the source. Using the migration wizard, I am able to successfully connect to the source db and implement the source schema locally. I chose the option to translate [database].[schema].[table] into `database`.`table`. Everything appears to work as expected up until the actual data transfer. For the snippets below, I have omitted irrelevant columns to conserve space.

The Workbench-generated schema:
-----
CREATE TABLE IF NOT EXISTS `database`.`table` (
`product_id` VARCHAR(40) NOT NULL,
`description` VARCHAR(254) NULL,
`long_description` LONGTEXT NULL,
PRIMARY KEY (`product_id`));
-----

In the source db, every row in the table has a null value for both the `description` and `long_description` fields. When the time comes to transfer the data, the following error occurs:
-----
12:32 [DB1][ copytable]: Detected server version=5.6.13
12:32 [DB1][ copytable]: Detected max_allowed_packet=4194304
12:32 [DB2][ copytable]: Columns from source table [database].[schema].[table] (3):
12:32 [DB2][ copytable]: 1 - product_id: nvarchar (type=SQL_WVARCHAR, len=160)
12:32 [DB2][ copytable]: 2 - description: nvarchar (type=SQL_WVARCHAR, len=1016)
12:32 [DB2][ copytable]: 3 - long_description: ntext (type=SQL_WLONGVARCHAR, len=4294967292, long_data)
`database`.`table`:Copying 11 columns of 252050 rows from table [database].[schema].[table]
12:32 [DB2][ copytable]: Columns from target table `database`.`table` (3):
12:32 [DB2][ copytable]: 1 - product_id: MYSQL_TYPE_STRING
12:32 [DB2][ copytable]: 2 - description: MYSQL_TYPE_STRING
12:32 [DB2][ copytable]: 3 - long_description: MYSQL_TYPE_BLOB
ERROR: `database`.`table`:Got SQL_NO_TOTAL for string size during copy of column 2
-----

After doing a bit of research, I have come up with a theory. The SQL_NO_TOTAL [constant?] is returned by the SQLGetData() function. According the MSDN documentation, this constant is returned only when the function cannot determine the length of the string which is contained in a field. My best guess is that Workbench is running that function in one way or the other as it migrates data but does not account for null values in fields with string-like types. As a result, NO data is transferred and the migration completes with:
-----
Copy helper has finished

Data copy results:
- `database`.`table` has FAILED (0 of 252050 rows copied)
0 tables of 1 were fully copied
-----

So my question is this: Is my issue a bug discovery or is there some other explanation/solution?

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 01/20/2014 10:52PM by Chris Smola.

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Views
Written By
Posted
Workbench Migration Wizard: Problems with SQL Server as Source
January 20, 2014 10:39PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.