MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  General

creating a query to return an x/y matrice of unknown x and y length
Posted by: Max Tobiasen
Date: March 07, 2008 04:42PM

I'm trying to find a way to store a number of x/y matrices and their content in a SQL table, and creating a single query that will return one of these matrices. The reason for wanting to do this is that I am doing an application where I need to have an unknown number of HTML tables with an unknown number of rows and columns.

I have three tables in a mySQL db: list, labels, and content.

The idea is to be able to create a matrix with entries from list along one axis, entries from labels along another axis, and entries from content as the intersection of the two. The content table has a field that corresponds to a field in labels, and a field that corresponds to a field in list so that I am able to place it correctly in the matrix.

Like so:

-----------|-------label(1)--------|-----------label(2)----|---------label(n)-----
-----------+-------------------------+-------------------------+----------------------
list(1)----| content(list1, label1) | content(list1, label2) | content(list1, labeln)
----------+-------------------------+-------------------------+----------------------
list(2)----| content(list2, label1) | content(list2, label2) | content(list2, labeln)
----------+-------------------------+-------------------------+----------------------
list(n)----| content(listn, label1) | content(listn, label2) | content(listn, labeln)

There must be a way of doing this in a single SQL query, but I can't quite figure out how.

Currently I have this PHP code to do it, but it is quite a mess, lots of unnecessary loops, and gets problematic once I want to sort the query based on the content table.

(simplified for easier reading)

//first get the labels in an array
$q = "SELECT column_name, type, label
FROM label
WHERE module_id = $currmod
ORDER BY column_number
";
$result = mysql_query($q,$conn);

$counter = 1;
while($row = mysql_fetch_array($result)){
$_SESSION['list']['column_name'][$counter] = $row['column_name'];
$_SESSION['list']['type'][$counter] = $row['type'];
$_SESSION['list']['label'][$counter] = $row['label'];
$_SESSION['list']['length'] = $counter;
$counter ++;
}

$q = "SELECT name, id FROM list Where moduleid = $moduleid";
$result = mysql_query($q,$conn) or die(mysql_error());
$c = 1;
while($row = mysql_fetch_array($result)){
$tablecolumn = 0;
while($c<=$_SESSION['list']['length']) { // for each record in column_counter array find out which content post matches
$tablecolumn = $tablecolumn++;
$label = $_SESSION['list']['label'][$c];
$q1 = "SELECT * FROM content Where list_id = '$row[id]' and label ='$label'"; // get items that correspons to current row
$result1 = mysql_query($q1,$conn) or die(mysql_error()) ;
while($array = mysql_fetch_array($result1)){
$list['list'][$c][$tablecolumn] = array('1', $array[content_date], 0) ;
}
$c++;
}
$list['list']['columns'] = $tablecolumn;
}

So the question is: can I create the array in a single SQL query, and if so how?

I don't necessarily need a full answer, just an idea of how to do this properly. I have no problems trying to think for myself :-)

I'm quite new to both PHP and MYSQL so forgive me if my code is a mess, or if this is a stupid question...

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 03/07/2008 05:04PM by Max Tobiasen.

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Written By
Posted
creating a query to return an x/y matrice of unknown x and y length
March 07, 2008 04:42PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.