MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  General

Server Doesn't Support Authentication
Posted by: Dan Beatty
Date: February 01, 2005 02:54PM

I recently did a clean install of MySQL 4.1 for a client on a Microsoft Windows 2000 5.00.2195 Service Pack 3 platform.

I got the following error message while trying to install Mambo: MySQL Connection Failure:
1251 — Client does not support authentication protocol requested by server; consider upgrading MySQL client.

I used a script to test what was going on here and received the same error message. In case I did something to during the Mambo install and its table set up, I tried it with various databases. (Go to the end to see script, if you really must.)

I read the following articles in the MySQL Manual:
A.2.3 Client does not support authentication protocol
A.2.4 Password Fails When Entered Interactively
5.5.9 Password Hashing in MySQL 4.1

They all seem to have to do with upgrading from an earlier version, which doesn't apply here. BUT, I still get the same error. I checked the password field. It is 41 characters long. The instructions to work around and/or fix this do not apply. Is this a Windows specific problem? Or am I missing something here? Or do I for some reason just have to settle for the older, less secure passwords?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Dan

P.S.
The script:
<?php

$server = 'localhost';
$username = 'root';
$password = '********'; // censored ;)
$dbname = 'MamboDb';

$mysql_link = mysql_connect( $server, $username, $password )
or die( 'MySQL Connection Failure: '.mysql_errno().' &mdash; '.mysql_error() );

echo <<<EOD

Connected to MySQL Server Using:<br>
<br>
Server: $server<br>
Username: $username<br>
Password: $password<br>
<br>
EOD;

$mysql_select_db( $dbname, $mysql_link )
or die( 'MySQL Use Database Failure: '.mysql_errno().' &mdash; '.mysql_error() );

echo <<<EOD
<br>
Using $dbname Database.<br>
<br>
EOD;
?>

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Written By
Posted
Server Doesn't Support Authentication
February 01, 2005 02:54PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.