MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  General

Problem using MySQL LOAD with "special" characters
Posted by: Judd Muir
Date: February 16, 2005 11:47AM

I am trying to load a MySQL table with text data that contains non-ASCII characters, such as an ñ [n-tilde] and è [e-grave].

When I use mysql LOAD to load the data from a text file, it completes without a warning or error, but those "special characters" turn into unrecognizable characters when viewed in a shell mysql session and when output in a PHP script to a browser.

I've tried importing the file using both a MySQL shell session, and phpMyAdmin, and have the same results.

NOTE: I *can* enter a "special character" directly into the field, again using either a shell or phpMyAdmin, so the database itself *does* support the character sets in question (or appears to!).

I'd appreciate any advice on how can I coerce MySQL to store those characters, without having to edit all my records manually once they've been imported!

Thanks in advance for any replies :-)

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Written By
Posted
Problem using MySQL LOAD with "special" characters
February 16, 2005 11:47AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.