MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  General

MySQL Syntax for distinct a,b + b,a combinations
Posted by: Matthew Beeman
Date: February 17, 2005 07:24PM

Hello,

I have a tricky SQL statement that I need to get and I was hoping you guys would help me. I have two integer fields, let's call them a & b. I need an SQL statement that returns only those combinations of a and b (in either order) that are in the database more than once (and the number of times they are in there). Here's an example:

Example Values:
A,B

I need the following returned
Value1, Value2, Count

I hope everyone can understand that. The pair of 2 and 3 have a count of 3 because they are there twice as a,b and once as b,a. The pair of 1 and 5 have a count of 2 because they are there once as a,b and once as b,a. The pair of 1 and 4 have a count of 2 because they are there twice as a,b. The value pairs of 1,2 1,9 1,8 are not returned because their total count would only be 1.

I already have the following SQL statement syntax for finding if they are more than 1 combo of a & b, but have not been able to get a count on if they are also b&a:

SELECT DISTINCT a,b COUNT(a) AS num FROM table GROUP BY a,b HAVING COUNT(a) > 1 ORDER BY num DESC

Thanks,
Matt
Raleigh, NC

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Written By
Posted
MySQL Syntax for distinct a,b + b,a combinations
February 17, 2005 07:24PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.