MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  General

Asynchronous table access - possible feature request.
Posted by: Wade Bowmer
Date: March 16, 2005 05:55PM

I've come across an interesting problem with the database I look after. And that is the read-locking is a little aggressive. For example: if I do a CREATE TABLE foo SELECT * FROM bar, then table `bar` is locked from all access until the statement finishes. Whilst this doesn't happen very often, it is onconvenient when it does. The same problem occurs when a query (e.g. a SELECT ... LIKE '%...%') takes a long time; the table(s) it's looking in are locked whilst the query is running. This is a bigger problem, only partially mitigated by using FullText indexing and some clever manipulations with temporary tables.

I've heard that some other databases have ways of "de-coupling" these sort of accesses so that during a long SELECT, other SELECTs can still run and UPDATEs are journalled so that later queries see the changes but still running ones don't. Is this on the cards for MySQL?

Wade.

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Written By
Posted
Asynchronous table access - possible feature request.
March 16, 2005 05:55PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.