MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  General

need help with tables/fields layout.
Posted by: Áki Barkarson
Date: April 21, 2009 12:39AM

Hi guys, ( i think i posted this in the wrong place first so i'm moving it here.)

I'm having a little trouble with getting a dynamic fields concept working for a php/mysql project i'm working on.

I made a container structure so when you open up a "container" via php in browser you get all the tables that container owns .. using a simple OwnerID structure a container can own tables and/or other containers. when you open up a container i present the child containers in a sidebar and the tables center view in tabs.. looks very clean and neat.. but i'm having trouble with the tables.. i want the structure to be totally dynamic from the php..

i want the tables to have dynamically assignable fields.. so you may create a table called ex "Italian Pasta" or "Vlan Table" and then you have 5-6 types of varchar fields and a few numberic fields etc.. and then you might want to add a field later on or remove a field..

the php will need to read out dynamically based on the amount of fields etc.. and how i do that is totally based on how the table structure will look.. and i'm having trouble with the table structure..

i want to create new tables on the fly.. so if you want to call the containers "Company:" "Location:" etc.. and then make a vlan database or vrf database for a routing company that'd be easy as pie also..

the approaches i have tried;

--- multiple tables ---
i made a view that lets the user create a new table phpMyAdmin style with preset field types and simple instructions etc.. and then an edit of each table..

this works like a charm, but two reasons this feel wrong;

1) you possibly end up with loooooads of tables and i find that messy
2) making a view statement to dynamicallly include unknown fields seems totally impossible.. and that means i'll manually have to populate a search database and i'd like to avoid that.

--- single table ---

i tried creating one table.. that has

ID + RowID + RowName + RowData + OwnerID etc..

so effectively building multiple tables ontop of a single table.. but i feel this isn't very scalable since you need multiple consecutive loops/querys to retrieve a single table and it just feels wrong ..

but view works like a charm here..

so i ask.. how can i make dynamically allocateable tables that is scalable and effective and you can still use view for a search table..

or am i thinking this wrong somehow? at least it doesn't feel like MySQL or any other database for that matter seems to want to do what i want.. :)

hope this was clear enough..

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Written By
Posted
need help with tables/fields layout.
April 21, 2009 12:39AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.