MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  General

Importing Data from an XML Document into a MySQL Table
Posted by: John awson
Date: June 25, 2014 02:55AM

Hi all, thanks for reading. Wasn't sure which topic this should go under so apologies if I've put it in the wrong place.

I am using phpMyAdmin to try and store some data from an XML document into a MySQL database.

Using the SQL tab I am entering the following code to do this:

LOAD XML LOCAL INFILE 'C:\\xampp\\mysql\\data\\poetic_archive\\edit.xml'
INTO TABLE author
ROWS IDENTIFIED BY '<unittitle>';

This does work and imports the data into a previously created table called author. The problem is that there are many fields with the <unittitle> tag and I only want to import data from specific ones.

The way that this XML file specifies the different types of <unittitle> data is by their nested location in the document. For example, nested within a <c03> tag, unittitle refers to an author's name. Nested within a <c04> tag however, unittitle refers to a book title.

It seems that you can only specify a single parameter in the ROWS IDENTIFIED BY '<tagname>'; command so how do I tell it exactly which unittitle fields I want it to extract?

Thank you for your help,

John

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Written By
Posted
Importing Data from an XML Document into a MySQL Table
June 25, 2014 02:55AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.