MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  General

Tool to dynamically serve Web site from MySQL database
Posted by: Harvey Morgan
Date: September 16, 2014 04:44AM

Background: For the last eight years I have been researching and photographing places of worship and pilgrimage where I live in France (la Gironde). I have a MySQL db that is constantly evolving as the project advances and I've taken thousands of photos of the 1,500 sites. In addition there are hundreds of other pages devoted to important people, vocabulary, references, etc.
Several years ago I started a Web site, using Mediawiki and the data I had in the MySQL db. Web site: www.cle33.org/wiki, typical page: http://www.cle33.org/wiki/index.php?title=Notre-Dame_de_Mouchac_(Aillas). This has turned out to be a terrible solution. Updating the wiki is either 1) done manually, which is time-consuming and error-prone or 2) done automatically via PHP, a complicated, manual, error-prone process. In either case, the wiki is thus a snapshot and usually out of date.

Solution: Dynamically generate the pages of the Web site from the MySQL database.

While I'm a database developer (retired and quickly falling behind in the field) and comfortable writing simple code in PHP, I am not a Web guru. HTML5, CSS, javascript, AJAX -- not in my toolkit. I suspect and certainly hope there's a tool out there that will easily automate the connection between 1) the database and the photos and 2) the Web site. I've done a little research on Web site generators via templates and what I've looked at is awful. Since the Web site is in French and aimed at French visitors (who are visually demanding), I would prefer to serve pages that are visually appealing. (If you looked at my Web site mentioned above, you've noticed it is not visually appealing; that's on my list of things to do.)

Any suggestions on how best to automate the process of serving a variety of Web pages from a MySQL database are welcome!

Harvey

Options: ReplyQuote

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.