Posted by: Viacheslav Ivanov
Date: May 23, 2016 12:09PM

Rick James Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> "Reasons"... Here are some guesses:
>
> * MySQL started out as a lean database engine. It
> did not have subqueries, transactions, partitions,
> character sets, nor the items you mentioned.

Thank you, I did not know that. From this point, I see my problems in different light.

> * Most missing features are so rarely used that
> there is not enough "customer pull" to cause them
> to be added.

Oh, may be, may be. I just trying to calculate a some analytics on the DB side. Looks like, MySQL is not good DB for building data warehouse because it does not contain a good tools for understand data. This is OK, not every DB can be used for any cases.

> * Most features have workarounds. (FULL OUTER
> JOIN can be implemented with a UNION.)

In the simple case – yes, but try to implement full join in case you need to join a few ("few" is five or six or ten for me) tables by a few (!) columns. This is not a nice way.

> * Added features tends to add complexity, thereby
> adding bugs and slowdowns.

Of course. In the worst case, I am satisfied with the result in terms of reliability and speed, as in MSSQL ;o)

> When subqueries and
> partitioning were added, users used them only to
> find out that they did not help performance --
> sometimes even slowed things down.

OK, thank you.

I need a temporary tables because I reuse a some sub-results in a many cases. In some calculations I need a use a temporary table a few times in the single query and I can not do it without a copying temporary tables. If native implementation of re-using temporary tables can not be better than copying, I do not need it.

> One of the features you mentioned is available
> now:
>
> MariaDB added "Windowing functions" recently
> (version 10.2).

Thank you! Looks like "Windowing functions" is not dependent upon self-join on temporary tables. And other features that I mentioned, depend on this? Or is it independent of thing?

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Written By
Posted
Re: Reasons of some limitations
May 23, 2016 12:09PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.