MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  General

Why do software keep changing messing up peoples lives?
Posted by: N SM
Date: July 10, 2016 07:58PM

I created a bunch of php scripts last year to process data to/from mysql database. I just updated mysql to the latest version, and now none of my scripts work anymore. Im now forced to waste time re-writing and debugging all of them again!!!!!!!!!!!!!

When the script tries to fetch the information from the database, mysql returns the desired information, plus a big string that looks like a webpage, warning me that some F^%$ command is now deprecated!!!

Who in their right mind on the mysql dev team would do that? Is this like sick joke?

If a script is expecting a first name string back from the database, it gets that, plus another big HTML string warning about some stupid command that is now deprecated. Why The F dont they just put the list of depreciated functions in a document somewhere, instead of playing GOD, and forcing everybody in the world to rewrite their code, or change their code to parse out this stupid message to prevent it getting mixed up in the actual data.

What if a business depends on mysql, then that business would be shut down because some genius decided to include a web page string warning message with every database fetch.

This is one of the reasons why i started to HATE the software field. Every freeking day some software developer decides to change something, causing code breaks all over the world. I guess they do it for job security???

This happens almost every month, we are FORCED to WASTE TIME rewriting large portions of code because of some stupid deprecation or some other reason.

We have been trying to release a software product for over a year now, we cant do it because of constantly rewriting sh*t because of constant deprecations in something we are using. Here comes another one AGAIN that we have to fix with this sql.

The software field is really sick in my opinion. I understand progress has to be made, and people change things, but do they realize they are messing with peoples lives and families who depend on the code they develop? This kind of thing puts people out of business almost over night, and it seems developers dont care one bit, they just run in there and rip the code apart and change everything ruining business all over the world in the process.

Why cant it be backward compatible and support the old commands instead of changing everything and breaking code all over the world.

I understand mysql is free, but come on man!!

What if every month Microsoft decided to change all their C library function names because "the names will be better this time", forcing you to rewrite your code all the time. I dont know anybody who would be happy about that.

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Written By
Posted
Why do software keep changing messing up peoples lives?
July 10, 2016 07:58PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.