MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  General

why to use varchar and not text?
Posted by: warrior23
Date: March 12, 2006 05:00PM

Hi,

I have a simple question:
When storing short strings like email adresses or nicknames you usually would use varchar-columns. But why not use text?
What disadvantages does text have?

Differences are:
- trailing-spaces don't get removed in text columns, in varchar-columns they do get removed. I don't see this as an advantage for either data type.
- There is no default-value for text column. Okay one disadvantage for the text-datatype, but only if you need a default-value.
- for indexes on text-columns you must specify an prefix length. Fair enough, but no disadvantage nor advantage.
- you have to be 'careful' using sort or group by on text columns, there you again have to specify a length. Okay.
- text columns require 1 (in words: one) byte more space to store than varchar colmuns. Text columns require (string-lenght + 2) bytes storage and varchar columns require (string-length + 1) bytes to store. You would save 1 (one) Megabyte storage every 1.000.000 rows if you use varchar instead of text. I can't really count this as a disadvantage, the difference is just too small.

Until now I thought, that when you store short strings in text columns you would lose performance compared to varchar columns. I ran a test and created two tables, each with two rows. One integer auto_increment primary key and one varchar(255) column, the second table had a text column instead of the varchar(255) column. With PHP I inserted 50.000 rows of a 80 char long text into both tables, I ran the test 6 times each. There was hardly any difference, on average the text table was even 0,043 seconds faster than the varchar table.
Then I ran a select-test on both tables, each fetching 50.000 rows (select * from test_table and then a 50.000-loop with mysql_fetch_row()), and ran the script 6 times. Only 0,012 seconds difference this time.
So, there is no difference in performance and speed.
The only disadvantage of text columns is that you can't specify a default value.

So why not always use text instead of varchar (except when a default value is required)?

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Written By
Posted
why to use varchar and not text?
March 12, 2006 05:00PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.