MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  MyISAM

Key_Buffer_Size
Posted by: Matthew Kruse
Date: March 20, 2009 04:50PM

I've been trying to benchmark key_buffer_size. Mysql buffers key_blocks uses a LRU algorithm to determine what to buffer. This would lend to the idea that the portions at the top of the B-Tree are going to remain in the cache, while the leaves of the B-Tree more then likely won't be buffered if our total index size > key_buffer size. Is my understanding here correct?

Benchmarking has also shown that os file system cache is better then larger values of key_buffer_size. I'll have 96% key cache hit rates with 128MB key buffer size beat out 99.9999% key cache hit rates at 1024MB key_buffer_size. MySQL's internal structure that manages the key_cache seems to be be out performed by the operating system's file cache.

Anyone have additional experience seeing this? Is there better documentation I should be reading, the stuff on mysql's site is pretty sparse other then to say allocate 25% of the ram on your dedicated db server.

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Views
Written By
Posted
Key_Buffer_Size
March 20, 2009 04:50PM
March 21, 2009 02:28PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.