MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  MyISAM

ALTER TABLE tmp file location
Posted by: P R
Date: August 24, 2009 01:01AM

question:
is it possible to specify the default tmp file location used with any 'alter table' statement?
i.e., 'alter table enable keys/create index' or any other statement which causes mysql to create a temp copy of the db table being acted upon...

the docs simply say 'In most cases, ALTER TABLE works by making a temporary copy of the original table. ... The temporary table is created in the database directory of the new table.'

- for 'ALTER TABLE' statements that arent creating a new table (such as when creating/changing an index), the docs imply that the tmp file is forcibly created in the same directory as the original file. this is very inefficient for large tables, as it forces the use of the same directory/same physical disk for both the read & write IO from the orig. table to the tmp copy...

it seems like it would make much more sense to be able to specify an alternate location (i.e.separate physical disk) for 'ALTER TABLE's' tmp files, either in the mysql config file my.cnf or as a parameter to the ALTER TABLE syntax...

if its not possible to specify/change the tmp file location for alter table, what can I do in order to add this as a feature request???

Please help,
thanks...
p.r.

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Views
Written By
Posted
ALTER TABLE tmp file location
P R
August 24, 2009 01:01AM
August 25, 2009 08:19PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.