MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  MyISAM

Re: Range Access for Multiple-Part Indexes
Posted by: Rick James
Date: January 02, 2010 09:41PM

Sounds like you have a 4GB QC. This can be inefficient when it locks the QC and does a linear scan of the entire QC. The lock blocks (I think) all SELECTs. Wait awhile -- see if the QC is used much, and if the hit ratio is high. Also check the size limit of the resultsets that it will save:
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/server-system-variables.html#sysvar_query_cache_limit
Your result sets are rather big, yes? They may not be cached.

A single select will effectively use only 1 core. Multiple selects running at the same time will use separate cores, but will block on the QC and key_buffer.

(The OPTIMIZE is redundant with the ALTER.) (The ALTER TABLE probably did very little, since the data was already inserted in that order.)

I'm not a fan of partitioning, but it might be beneficial here. I would pick whichever of x,y,year,month usually has the least values.

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Views
Written By
Posted
December 30, 2009 03:52PM
Re: Range Access for Multiple-Part Indexes
January 02, 2010 09:41PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.