MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  MyISAM

How to?: Multiple Field Entries (eg: A, B, E, G = one field cell contents)
Posted by: Jeff Sabarese
Date: December 19, 2005 10:55PM

My inexperience is going to show through here. Okay... here goes...

My database is going to have several different table-sets. by "table-set", i mean, i have a set of 3 related tables (maybe 4 or more by the time it's all over) per each of 17 items. so, i'll have A_table1, A_table2, A_table3, B_table1, B_table2, etc., and so on., and each respective schema is identical as well.

one important aspect of these tables is a field which allows entry for whether that item is related to any of the others. (for example, A_table3.Col_2 = B, D, G; B_table3.Col_2 = A, C, F; C_Table3.Col2 = B, D, E; etc).

my obstacle: develop a method of entering those multiple entries into the db w/out offering a simple <input type="text"> field, but instead offering a multiple choice style selector so there's less chance for human-input error, and thereby a greater liklihood for more accurate feedback.

but w/ my lack of experience, i must i guestion - would it be better to have separate table fields for this, or to let a VARCHAR handle a multiple choice option/select box entry? i just can't look at it from the other side and know why one way of going would be better than another, so i'd appreciate any help you can offer. thanks!!

-- -- -- --
Use CSS [ content:" ?? " ] for Unicode + Control Chars (e.g. newline, etc)... Gain understanding of Codepage, Charset, Encoding, Keymapping... Generate CSS and JavaScript on-the-fly with PHP... Tales from the Communications Dept @ NoviceNotes.Net

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/19/2005 10:56PM by Jeff Sabarese.

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Views
Written By
Posted
How to?: Multiple Field Entries (eg: A, B, E, G = one field cell contents)
December 19, 2005 10:55PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.