MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  MyISAM

MyISAM/Blackhole Auto Increment Value Question
Posted by: Timothy Crider
Date: January 26, 2006 04:37PM

I am trying a replication experiment with the new Blackhole storage engine which will mirror a MyISAM table on multiple slaves. There are very few articles that actually give a good example of how to set this up, other than the manual that says you should run a MySQL Master daemon (MM), infront of a MySQL Blackhole daemon (MB). The MB would then be responsible for pushing the binlogs to the slaves.

I was wondering if it was possible to use Blackhole without MM in front of it, and to do writes directly to the MB. I have gotten it to work fairly well, but not without a few small issues. Auto Inc ID's are critical to the applications I'm writing, and the ability to return a newly created ID is something I cannot do without.

The system has data that is over 10 million rows, and well over a gig on disk. The databases can average anywhere from 50 to 800 queries per second. MySQL has preformed phenominally well under these circumstances, but I need to find a more effecient way to handle a heavier load.

My questions are:

1. What is the most reliable way to get Auto Inc ID's out of this setup.
2. What's the benefit of having a blackhole table, if you have to have a master in front of it storing the data and the binlogs? Wouldn't that mean you have 2 daemons running the same box, the only difference is that one writes the data to disk and the other doesn't? That would still leave you with 2 sets of binlogs.
3. Is there a better solution out there than this? I really love the idea of a blackhole master in front of my slaves ( ALL selects are going through slaves. Only Insert/Update/Delete are allowed on the master.

Thanks for your time,

Timothy M. Crider

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Views
Written By
Posted
MyISAM/Blackhole Auto Increment Value Question
January 26, 2006 04:37PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.