MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  MyISAM

Bulletin Board db - construction - seeks advice
Posted by: Jeff Sabarese
Date: January 26, 2006 11:47PM

hello. i wish to build a very simple resource with which the charity client beneficiary, an Arts in Education organization, will be able to easily ("as easy as sending an e-mail") post daily, weekly, monthy-- whatever-- periodic updates to what the Director calls her "Bulletin Board" page of the web site.

I realize there are several pre-packaged blogs, and phpbb2, etc available-- but we don't want or need that extensive an application. this needs to be VERY simple to administer for them.

i've come here to ask advice about the date issue. i have a fair amount of experience w/ PHP / MySQL yet, believe it or not, i really haven't had to deal w/ the issue of time-of-entry timestamp db entries. recently, i tried using the TIMESTAMP data type in MySQL w/ a simple "task list" type app, but i struggled to record the timestamp. the timestamp indeed updated when the db took an update query, but i couldn't figure out how to get it to go in w/ an INSERT query!

so, that's realy why i've come here. in hopes to conquer once and for all what i consider the "time-of-entry stamp" (realizing of course what a TIMESTAMP truly is in relation to a dATE, etc. i realize also that i could use a DATETIME data type. and that's why i'm here. for your advice.

please observe in my screen capture, my database structure http://fileshare.adesigninteractive.com/screen_capture/galaxy/index.php

the db is empty, so i am able to restructure it. what do you propose is my best option for maintaining date information for this type of data? i want to record the time of original authoring of each bulletin board "news article"-- it doesn't even necessarily need to update-- my concern there being-- how will i distinguish between updated and original entry time-- i would think we'd want to retain knowledge of the original entry-- even if the time and date of any updated changes are also recorded.

as you can see, i also have an image_id field-- i don't know if i need this or not, but i was thinking i could simply use the current article_id also for the image-- obviously i can't have more than one auto-increment field, and i didn't want to force the user to title evey picture she uploads. i plan to simply store my images in a directory, assuming that's my best choice. any advice in that regard will also be much appreciated!!

thanks for your help!! i'm looking forward to your reply.

-- -- -- --
Use CSS [ content:" ?? " ] for Unicode + Control Chars (e.g. newline, etc)... Gain understanding of Codepage, Charset, Encoding, Keymapping... Generate CSS and JavaScript on-the-fly with PHP... Tales from the Communications Dept @ NoviceNotes.Net

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Views
Written By
Posted
Bulletin Board db - construction - seeks advice
January 26, 2006 11:47PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.