MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  MyISAM

Re: System hangs during a big table purge
Posted by: Ingo Strüwing
Date: April 27, 2006 05:13AM

This sounds to be a similar effect as in the thread "Problems with system locking".

Since you mention the "end" phase, it could also be key cache flushing here. Do you see much I/O in this phase?

I cannot answer your questions as I have no clue what might happen. Even if it is related to the key cache, I can't explain why this could create tenth of seconds in a chunk and then work again.

Do you run with delay_key_write? If not, and you are willing to experiment with it, we should see if the problem is key cache related at all.

How many rows do you delete with each DELETE statement?

I would like to get at this problem, but for you it might be more important to have a working alternative. If your table works like a history table (you clear out all the oldest records without gaps), you might want to look at a MERGE table. I can be more verbose if you like.

Ingo Strüwing, Senior Software Developer - Storage Engines
MySQL AB, www.mysql.com

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Views
Written By
Posted
Re: System hangs during a big table purge
April 27, 2006 05:13AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.