MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  MyISAM

Avoiding "Repair with keycache"
Posted by: Eric Walker
Date: April 27, 2006 03:17PM

First, I know little about MySQL: let's get that up front.

I have a db with one table, 2,787,003 rows of average length 1,527. It loaded very smoothly, 12 to 13 minutes, with keys disabled. When I went to index it by enabling keys, it went into snail mode--it has been running for days now and has just gotten to the .TMM-file point (which it would be nice to see documented somewhere).

A SHOW PROCESSLIST revealed, not surprisingly, the dreaded "Repair with keycache", which seems to multiply indexing time by a factor of 20 to 30. My problem is how to get it to index using sort.

My full "my.cnf" is this:

[mysqld]
user = mysql
port = 3306
socket = /tmp/mysql.sock
log = /usr/local/var/logs/access_log
log-slow-queries= /usr/local/var/logs/slow_log
tmpdir = /usr/tmp
enable-locking
skip-name-resolve
skip-host-cache
skip-innodb
back_log=128
connect_timeout=10
ft_min_word_len=3
key_buffer_size=512M
max_allowed_packet=1024M
max_connections=200
max_connect_errors=100
myisam_sort_buffer_size=128M
query_cache_size=32M
read_buffer_size=2M
sort_buffer_size=2M
thread_cache=32
table_cache=512
wait_timeout=15
myisam_max_sort_file_size=21474836480

The drive has about 40 GB spare, but allowing for this and that I assumed a value of 20 GB available, and have so set the myisam_max_sort_file_size parameter. I know little or nothing about the myisam_max_extra_sort_file_size parameter, and have not set it; but I understand that the default there is 2 GB, and that seems to be the threshold for problems (tables only slightly smaller index in a few hours). Is that the problem? I have no idea.

The MySQL is v. 4.0.21. The RAM is, I believe (I have minimal control over my server and host) 1 GB. I am unsure of the CPU, but it does everything fast enough when the index is under 2 GB.

I have spent literally days combing the web for advice, and what little I find is confusing and often contradictory. Can someone *please* give me a brief, clear idea of what parameters work in what ways to determine which method MySQL chooses for repairing indices? I cannot take several days every time I need to update that table (typically weekly). I should add that the table is used only for reading: it is never updated save all at once by dropping and remaking with new data.

TIA.

Cordially,
Eric Walker
Owlcroft House

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Views
Written By
Posted
Avoiding "Repair with keycache"
April 27, 2006 03:17PM
April 28, 2006 02:08PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.