MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  InnoDB

Re: MySQL equivalent of tablespace?
Posted by: Kreshna Aryaguna
Date: December 19, 2006 08:49PM

Yes, but isn't MySQL 5.1x is still in beta?

I wonder whether MySQL 5.0 (I'm using 5.0.7) is capable of doing such thing; that is, putting particular table in a particular 'tablespace', which in turn is put in a particular hard drive partition.

IIRC, the MyISAM storage engine uses the file table_name.MYD for a table, and table_name.MYI for an index. So each table has two files: one for the table's content itself, while another is for its index. Thus, if I have a table name pets, then I will have the files pets.MYD and pets.MYI.

However, I wonder if we can specify the path of the MyISAM files. For instance, I have the following partitions: /dev/sda2 (mounted as /data1), /dev/sdb1 (mounted as index1), /dev/sdb2 (mounted as data2), and /dev/sdc1 (mounted as index2). I also have two tables: 'orders' and 'customers'. I want to have the following storage scheme:
(1) orders.MYD should be stored in /dev/sda2 (/data1)
(2) orders.MYI should be stored in /dev/sdb1 (/index1)
(3) customers.MYD should be stored in /dev/sdb2 (/data2)
(4) customers.MYI should be stored in /dev/sdc1 (index2)

Is it possible with MyISAM? And if that's the case, how? How to specify the path of a particular MyISAM file?

I'm also thinking about InnoDB. In InnoDB, there is a way to specify the path of InnoDB datafiles; using innodb_data_file_path option in my.cnf option files.

However, I wonder whether there is a way to associate an InnoDB file with a particular table. For example, if I specify the following line:
[mysqld]
innodb_data_file_path=/ibdata/ibdata1:50M;/ibdata/ibdata2:50M:autoextend
Then I will have two InnoDB data files: ibdata1 and ibdata2.

However, if I have two tables: 'costumers' and 'orders', is it possible to put the table costumers in ibdata1, and put orders in ibdata2? Is it possible to specify a specific InnoDB data file for a particular table? And how?

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Views
Written By
Posted
December 19, 2006 04:24AM
December 19, 2006 06:54AM
Re: MySQL equivalent of tablespace?
December 19, 2006 08:49PM
February 14, 2007 02:49PM
December 16, 2008 03:57AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.