MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  InnoDB

Fast Inserts, Slow Updates
Posted by: Tony Dillon
Date: October 17, 2008 09:28AM

Hello there,

I wonder if somebody can help explain the situation I am experiencing with a large InnoDB import process.

The import process ultimately ends up with an database about 120GB in size. The import is split into the insert process, which gets the database up to size, followed by an equal number of updates which does not grow the database any larger, but merely updates the existing data.

Rows are inserted/updated in batches of 5000, and the code run is identical for updates and inserts. First I check to see if the record already exists, and if not I insert - otherwise I update.

The interesting thing is that the insert process peaks at only 30 seconds for each 5000 records inserted (of course it is significantly quicker in the beginning). What perplexes me is as soon as the import switches to the updates process this time more than quadruples to between 180 and 400 seconds per 5000 updates.

There are some minor differences to the process for an update, in that it will delete some records before reinserting them. But it seems excessive that this would account for a 6+ times decrease in performance.

One final point is that during the insert process the time per 5000 increased absolutely linerarly by about 0.01 seconds per 5000. The update process varies wildly between 60 and 400 seconds.

I can include any my.cnf settings or table index definitions if anybody would like.

Many thanks for your time,
Tony

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Views
Written By
Posted
Fast Inserts, Slow Updates
October 17, 2008 09:28AM
October 20, 2008 10:15AM
October 21, 2008 08:53AM
October 23, 2008 07:16PM
October 28, 2008 02:53AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.