MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  InnoDB

nnoDB foreign keys 'ON DELETE' alternative action
Posted by: cty trung
Date: January 20, 2009 12:17AM

I have a table in my database that follows the nested sets idea.
http://forums.devshed.com/mysql-help-4/innodb-foreign-keys-on-delete-alternative-action-584955.html
nha khoa.com/showthread.php?t=34569
Code:
table.eventnodes
id (int) (primary)
lft (int)
rgt (int)
player_id (int) (foreign key)

player_id refers to this table
Code:
table.players
id (int) (primary)
player_name (varchar)

The player_id can exist in the eventnodes table many times (depending on how many events the player is participating in). However if the player is removed from the database, I want him to be removed from all of his existances in the eventnodes table as well.

Normally, when I have adjacent tables I would say "on delete cascade". However, to correctly remove the player from his entries into the events, it also requires updating every lft/rgt value where applicable, as well as deleting every record in the eventnodes that belong to the player.

I would prefer to have the database structure handle this if possible. I'm wondering if theres a way to have the database automatically use a prepared statement or something of those sorts to remove the player's nodes in the eventnodes table. Or would I have to use RESTRICT instead of CASCADE and have the programmer do this manually?

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Views
Written By
Posted
nnoDB foreign keys 'ON DELETE' alternative action
January 20, 2009 12:17AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.