MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  InnoDB

Index Type created not same as mentioned in documentation.
Posted by: sachin vyas
Date: August 07, 2012 01:20AM

Hello,

We have installed the following cluster version on linux:

SELECT VERSION();
5.5.19-ndb-7.2.4-gpl

w.r.t the following link:
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.5/en/create-index.html
for the section "index_type" :

I tried out the stuff mentioned for the description of "index_type" & found the following differences:
1) As per the documentation:

...Where multiple index types are listed, the first one is the default when no index type specifier is given.

Storage Engine Permissible Index Types
MyISAM BTREE
InnoDB BTREE
MEMORY/HEAP HASH, BTREE
NDB HASH, BTREE (see note in text)

So as per above I created a table & created an index on the table & expected the index type to be "HASH", but it is actually a "BTREE" index.

CREATE TABLE lookup
(id INT)
engine=ndb;

alter table lookup add index idx_simple (id);
[I even tried the CREATE INDEX, without specifying the "USING BTREE" option]

I refered the index type from TOAD UI, which showed it as "BTREE". I also refered the information_schema.statistics table
for the index name = "idx_simple", which showed as "BTREE" under the column "INDEX_TYPE".

2) As per the documentation:
Note
For indexes on NDB table columns, the USING option can be specified only for a unique index or primary key.

But, I was able to create a normal index as mentioned below by using the "USING" clause.
CREATE INDEX id_index ON lookup (id) USING BTREE;

3) As per the documentation:
USING HASH prevents the creation of an implicit ordered index; otherwise, creating a unique index or primary key on an NDB table automatically results in the creation of both an ordered index and a hash index, each of which indexes the same set of columns.

How do I get information on the above two indexes created (in "mysql" or "information_schema" db).

Regards,
Sachin Vyas.

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Views
Written By
Posted
Index Type created not same as mentioned in documentation.
August 07, 2012 01:20AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.