MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  InnoDB

Re: MySQL 5.0 + Innodb plugin
Posted by: Aurelien PANIZZA
Date: November 03, 2012 10:13AM

I tried InnoDb compression (MySQL 5.5) with KEY_BLOCK_SIZE=16, which did a great job for TEXT field (around 90% compression). MySQL 5.5 has a bug with query like 'insert into ... on duplicate key ..'. We use a lot this kind of query in our scripts, so I can't upgrade to MySQL 5.5.
I may upgrade to MariaDB 5.5 since this bug doesn't seem to be present.
I'm looking for a way to compress TEXT fields (which represent 80% of my table size), but as usual, the project manager doesn't want to change the source code (I was thinking of COMPRESS() and UNCOMPRESS() functions, which seem to be pretty efficient).
With MySQL 5.0 I can't think of many possibilities

- MyISAM compress option is read only and didn't compress well (in my test case)
- Archive engine doesn't support indexes (I've thought to export only the text field in a new ARCHIVE table and create a view which aggregate the two tables, so that no need to change the source code)
- COMPRESS() and UNCOMPRESS() functions, but we must change the source code
- The TEXT field stores XML files, so store the files only on the disk and keep a link towards the XML file in the table, but we must change the source code
- Upgrade to MariaDB 5.5 and use InnoDB compression.

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Views
Written By
Posted
November 02, 2012 03:09AM
November 03, 2012 09:34AM
Re: MySQL 5.0 + Innodb plugin
November 03, 2012 10:13AM
November 04, 2012 10:46AM
November 05, 2012 03:24AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.