MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  InnoDB

Re: hard to test select for update scenario
Posted by: Rick James
Date: February 20, 2013 11:22PM

> and the first completes in 20 milliseconds, the second will block only for 20 milliseconds, and never(!) deadlock.

Is 20ms too long?

> Your "probably" worries me.

Sorry, I don't know enough about the internals of InnoDB to be more certain.

> blockage only on the numbered lock items being discussed, and never deadlock??

Watch out for "gap" locks. That can cause blockages and/or deadlocks on seemingly distinct values. (But the values are in the same 'gap'.)

a)b)c)d) -- A single statement with 100 values in an IN clause will run 10 times as fast as 100 separate statements in a single BEGIN...COMMIT transaction. Faster means less chance of colliding.

If you don't care whether the 100 UPDATEs are done as a single transaction, and if you don't care how long they take, then perhaps autocommit=ON plus 100 UPDATEs is the least likely to hit a deadlock.

I would do the UPDATE...WHERE...IN(:sortedlist), and be prepared to rerun the update if it hit a deadlock. It would be fastest (when there is no deadlock). It would recover from a deadlock that 'probably' would never occur. Speed. Correctness. The only downside is the code to handle the deadlock.

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Views
Written By
Posted
February 13, 2013 03:03PM
Re: hard to test select for update scenario
February 20, 2013 11:22PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.