MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  InnoDB

Re: Difference between theoretical and real storage size
Posted by: Rick James
Date: May 20, 2013 11:37PM

Since there were 10 VARCHAR NULL fields, and no other NULLable fields, I would have expected a savings of 2 bytes = (10 bits) / 8, rounded up. (Hmmm... maybe the first bit is required, and may it has only the first 7 NULLs. Or something like that. The answer is probably buried deep in the online docs. And in the code.)

The 7 was a mystery when I first encountered it. But here's the logic (again MyISAM only)...

SHOW VARIABLES LIKE 'myisam_data_pointer_size';
Gives you 6, correct? (That has been the default for the last couple of versions.)

That says that 6 bytes will be used to 'point' to a record in the .MYD file. For 'Fixed' width records, the pointer is a record number; for 'Dynamic' it is a byte offset into the .MYD file.

A pointer of that size is also used for marking off free space in the .MYD.

So...
1 byte to say free or not.
6 bytes for pointing to the next non-free spot in the file.
= 7 bytes is the minimum size for a record in the file.

All of this is quite artificial -- How often does one build a row that is only 4 bytes?
And if you really don't like the 7, you can shrink myisam_data_pointer_size, at least at the time when you create the table.

(The old default was 4, which led to false rumors that MyISAM tables were limited to 256^4 bytes (4GB).)

The max value is 7, which leads to a really, really, large limit on the size of a MyISAM table.

I'm loaded with trivia like this; got any more questions?

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Views
Written By
Posted
Re: Difference between theoretical and real storage size
May 20, 2013 11:37PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.