MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  InnoDB

Re: InnoDB buffer pool setting of large Innodb database
Posted by: Rick James
Date: December 30, 2014 03:21PM

Short answer:

On a 16GB machine:
innodb_buffer_pool_size = 11G
(or perhaps 12G -- but don't let the OS swap)

Longer answer:

> 1 - As Database grows, do we have to set buffer pool accroding to size. If it is so, then do I need 50 GB Memory to cache Innodb data in memory in my case ?

The simple answer is to set innodb_buffer_pool_size to 70% of available RAM. Increasing beyond that would hurt because it would probably lead to swapping. Setting it to less than 70%, but still more than the dataset size, is OK.

> 2- In this situation, Mysql seeks the queried data from disk, instead of buffer pool and increase InnoDB I/O ?

The buffer_pool is a "cache". Every query needs some blocks of data and/or index. InnoDB first looks in the buffer pool to see if the blocks are there. If not, it reads them from disk. On writing, things are delayed, so a write (INSERT, UPDATE, DELETE) rarely is stalled waiting for the writes. There are a lot of variants on what I am saying; let's see a query that is running slower than you would like; I will analyze it for you. (As Luis points out.)

> 3- what is the recommanded solution for the same as database size is growing every day and we can not affore large memory on the server?

Use the 70% guideline. If you have a lot of I/O, then let's look at the slow queries to see what can be improved in them.

It is quite normal to have a dataset that is bigger than the available RAM.

Buffer_pool: bigger is better, but too big is really bad.

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Views
Written By
Posted
Re: InnoDB buffer pool setting of large Innodb database
December 30, 2014 03:21PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.