MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  InnoDB

Re: innodb_file_per_table on raid 5 server
Posted by: Rick James
Date: October 10, 2015 07:21PM

Well, I disagree.

But first let's decide what criteria you are using:
* Spinning drive? or SSD?
* Hardware RAID controller? or OS software?
* Battery Backed Write Cache? or not?
* Comparing RAID-5 to no RAID? to RAID-10? To Replication for recovery? To DRBD?
* If comparing -5 to -10, are you comparing the same number of drives? or the same capacity?
* What is your goal? High Availability? Recovery from single-drive failure? Other?
* How much does cost matter?
* Fast writes?

If practical, I would go for multiple machines for recovery from a drive failure or a system failure. (Galera distributed across 3 physical locations is currently the best, in my opinion.)

One machine, and you are worried about a single drive crashing -- RAID-5 and RAID-10, those articles notwithstanding, are about the same.

Price per GB with some kind of RAID -- Clearly -5 wins.

Writes -- Both -5 and -10 are likely to do 2 physical writes per logical write. -5 needs to write the block and update the parity (using XOR).

Dispersion of data -- RAID _striping_ (in both -5 and -10) is better than anything to do with manual layout of data vs index, file_per_table, etc.

Read performance of N drives in -5 config is virtually identical to N drives in -10. (Note: the same N, but -5 will have higher capacity.)

A hardware RAID controller with BBWC gives "instantaneous" writes, with no risk of lost data in a power failure. So, regardless of the other factors, I vote for that.

For all the good answers Rolando gives, I am surprised that I disagree with him a non-trivial percentage of the time.

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Views
Written By
Posted
October 08, 2015 10:29AM
Re: innodb_file_per_table on raid 5 server
October 10, 2015 07:21PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.